ABATE of Maryland, Inc. – Legislative Goals 2021
Check back here for updates during the 2021 Session beginning in January 2021
Must Appear Bill: if violating the right-of-way of or causing the serious physical injury or death of a vulnerable individual as a result of the person operating a vehicle in a careless or distracted manner, the violator may be fined up to a certain dollar amount and must appear in court. This would be a modification to the previously passed ROW bill from 2008: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?ys=2008rs/billfile/SB0712.htm
- Reckless and Negligent Driving – Death of Another – Must-Appear Violation: Providing that a person charged with reckless or negligent driving that contributes to an accident that results in the death of another person must appear in court and may not prepay the fine.
Helmet Exception Bill: Providing that the prohibition against operating or riding on a motorcycle without certain protective headgear does not apply to an individual at least 21 years old who has been licensed to operate a motorcycle for at least 2 years, has completed a certain motorcycle safety course, or is a passenger on a motorcycle operated by a driver who has been licensed for at least 2 years or has completed a certain motorcycle safety course.
- Previous year Bill number: SB0237
- The hearing will be held in the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee
- Bill Sponsors: Senators Hough
- Committee Hearing date: TBD Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee
Grass Clippings: Expanding the Illegal Dumping and Litter Control Law to include yard waste; establishing a penalty for a violation of the Act; prohibiting a court from imposing less than the mandatory minimum fine of $50 for a violation of the Act; and requiring a court to order a person found guilty of disposing of yard waste in violation of the Act to remove or render harmless the yard waste or reimburse the State, county, municipal corporation, or bi-county unit for its costs incurred in removing the yard waste.
Del. Steve Arentz (R, District 36) hopes to work on this bill again this year and we are seeking support from bicyclists, the AMA, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation and the Shore River Keepers Association
- Previous year Bill number: HB008
- Hearing Date: TBD
- Bill Sponsor:
- House Committee: Environment and Transportation
- Current Laws in Maryland:
- Maryland Code, Transportation § 21-1111
- Maryland Code, Criminal Law § 10-110
These issues will require a lot of effort. We will need as many people to help as possible. Monday Night Lobbying, calls to representatives, attending committee hearings, etc. If we all do a little, we can make a great impact.
Contact a Legislator:
Find your legislator here: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Members/District
Click on the committee links above to see each committee member and their contact info.
Suggested Email/Phone Script: I am contacting (Delegate or Senator / Committee Chair) to urge a vote and favorable report for (Bill number), relating to (subject / description)
(ABATE OF MARYLAND, INC. MEMBER)
(MD Resident and Registered Voter)
Updated 9/24/2020 ~ kbe